Senior Programme Manager Engagement, Dialogue & Process Design (EDP)
Do you want to make a real difference to peace? Are you interested in using your skills to shape conflict resolution?
The European Institute of Peace is looking for exceptional individuals who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We design and help deliver sustainable peace processes and agreements by providing practical experience, technical expertise and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design, facilitating policy discussions, mediation support and practical engagement.
Based in Brussels and active in 15 countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organization working collaboratively with European decision makers, the parties to conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our approach enables us to be agile, creative, trustworthy and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members.
See www.eip.org for more information.
Terms of Reference
We are looking for a Senior Programme Manager to be part of the Engagement, Dialogue & Process Design (EDP) Unit. Reporting to the EDP Director, the Manager works as part of or in lead of teams managing the projects, programmes and envelopes at a global level run by EDP or other units.
In particular, the Senior Programme Manager will lead on the design, development and implementation of EIP’s work in the MENA region. In addition to English, the Manager will therefore need to have an excellent command of Arabic, both oral and in writing, and have prior extensive experience with working with countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
In this context, the Senior Programme Manager’s responsibility will be to:
- Ensure operational and strategic coherence on assigned projects, programmes and envelopes to ensure that EIP’s contribution is sustainable and inclusive, and in line with EIP's Vision, Mission, and Goals;
- Maintain oversight of project implementation by supporting and managing the team, ensuring good team dynamics and facilitating internal communication flows;
- Directly and indirectly contribute to EIP's relationship management with actors in the field, the UN, relevant Governments, and the EU for purposes of buy-in, expectations management, and where appropriate policy-influencing;
- Develop and maintain effective liaison, strong relations and engagement with donors to facilitate the timely implementation of project activities, ensure strict compliance with donor rules and regulations, and delivery and monitoring of programme outputs and expenditure within defined deadlines, and engage in fundraising efforts;
- In collaboration with EIP’s European Affairs and Public Affairs, develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with relevant EU institutions, European governments and NGO counterparts, particularly those based in the region, to identify political priorities, regional interests and scope for collaboration;
- Develop concrete and realistic strategies for engagement on the ground in order to develop strong networks and ability to work closely with local actors, conflict parties, and other relevant groups (e.g. marginalised actors etc) to inform and contribute to the achievement of project objectives;
- Work closely with colleagues to contribute to analysis and compile briefing materials for internal and external audiences and events, including preparation of speeches for senior leadership, and lead or contribute to the development of relevant policy discussions, recommendations and process design options;
- Take initiative, identify opportunities and plan and participate in scoping missions or other project development activities as necessary and subsequently develop strategies for new EIP interventions;
- Any other responsibility agreed upon with the line manager.
Qualifications and Requirements
- University degree in political science, conflict resolutions, international relations, or related field;
- Minimum 15 years of experience, at least 5 of them spent on concrete international efforts on mediation, mediation-support or dialogue facilitation;
- Significant experience working and operating in the MENA region.
- Experience working with recovering or fragile states and EU institutions;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills;
- Perfect command of English and Arabic (verbal and written). Any other EU language is also an asset.
- Ability to work well under deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- Ability to work in Belgium (Belgian or EU citizen or currently in possession of a Belgian work permit.)
Starting date: April 2020
Please submit 1- 2 pages CV with a motivation letter (Name_Surname_ Senior Programme Manager) and expectations regarding remuneration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline Friday 21st February 2020.
If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Kindly note that we unfortunately cannot accept telephone inquiries.