Programme Officer Mediation, Policy and European Relations Division
The European Institute of Peace (EIP) is a mediation and peacemaking organisation with activities in over 20 countries on four continents. We work from the heart of Europe to complement and add value to European peacemaking efforts. As an independent organisation whose board members are European states that share a common commitment to a European and EU global peace agenda, we have a unique position to pursue our ideas in close collaboration with the EU, EU member states and other European peacemaking actors. All EIP projects are characterised by our deep commitment to inclusion of all actors affected by conflicts, that mediation and other dialogue tools can be utilised more effectively, and that nearly all conflicts are inherently political which must be reflected in peacemaking efforts.
The EIP is looking for an experienced full-time Programme Officer to be an integral part of EIP’s Mediation, Policy and European Relations Division.
Terms of References
The Programme Officer, reporting to the Director for Mediation, Policy & European Relations, will lead the development and implementation of a number of projects run under EIP’s Mediation, Policy and European Relations Division (MPER):
- Manage several new initiatives leading the projects from conceptualization to implementation including:
- Coordinate project planning and implementation, strategic project direction, finances, and monitoring and evaluation with relevant staff members, consultants, and field offices;
- Maintaining — under the strategic coordination of the Mediation Director — strong relations and engagement by key EU, European Governments, and NGO counterparts;
- Develop and implement strategies for how new policy ideas and strategies can be integrated into the peacemaking and policy development of external actors, such as the EEAS or European Governments;
- Develop new concept ideas, design projects and setting up relevant partnerships;
- Ensure continued funding for existing and new projects through the drafting of high-quality proposals and strong engagement of donors;
- Conduct scoping for new MPER engagements both in Brussels and in the field;
- Coordinate the development of relevant research, compiling of briefing materials and preparation of speeches for senior leadership;
- Provide support to outreach and strategic communications efforts of MPER;
- Provide support to the Mediation Director in developing and implementing MPER’s strategic vision.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in foreign affairs, policy work or diplomacy;
- Project management experience with a government, international organisation, or NGO;
- Experience working in working with or in support of EU institutions;
- Strong knowledge of the EU and European governments foreign policy priorities;
- Proven and well-developed influencing and relationship building skills in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, from junior to senior level, including high-level diplomats, envoys and senior decision-markers;
- Demonstrable highly developed written and oral communication skills, including the ability to publicly represent the Institute at all levels;
- Strong analytical skills, insights into knowledge management practices, and apt at turning abstract discussions into concrete ideas;
- Ability to perform well on tight deadlines, flexible attitude;
- Excellent command of English (verbal and written). French desirable, any other EU language is a plus;
- Ability to work in Belgium (Belgian or EU citizen or currently in possession of a Belgian work permit.)
- Permanent Belgian contract;
- Salary commensurate to skills and experience;
- A team member in a dynamic, growing and young organisation,
- Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, Hospitalia insurance, pension plan and transportation contribution; as well as
- 20 vacation days per year, 12 National holidays, 40h/week (with 12 days of RTT per year) and EIP year-end holiday closure.
- your CV (Name_Surname_CV_MPER PO)
- a one-page statement of motivation (Name_Surname_statement_MPER PO) demonstrating your qualification according to the profile
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline is 25 November 2018 COB. If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Please understand that due to our workload, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.