Programme Officer – Environmental Peacemaking
Do you want to make a real difference to peace? Are you interested in using your skills to shape conflict resolution?
The European Institute of Peace is looking for exceptional individuals who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We design and help deliver sustainable peace processes and agreements by providing practical experience, technical expertise and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design, facilitating policy discussions, mediation support and practical engagement.
Based in Brussels and active in 15 countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organization working collaboratively with European decision makers, the parties to conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our approach enables us to be agile, creative, trustworthy and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members.
See www.eip.org for more information.
Terms of reference
The European Institute of Peace is looking for a Programme Officer to be an integral part of the Environmental Peacemaking team within the Peace Practice and Innovation Unit. This is a new role, and you will support the Director of Peace Practice and Innovation and the Executive Director in developing EIP’s role in climate and environmental peacemaking. The Programme Officer will be based in Brussels and report directly to the Programme Manager for Environmental Peacemaking.
In this context you will:
- Support in the coordination of key policy meetings to identify and develop EIP’s added value in this field;
- Provide analysis of work in the field, and maintain key relationships; Keep up-to-date on European policymaking priorities as it related to climate and environmental peacemaking and security;
- Support all projects in the Environmental Peacemaking programme, this includes the full programme management cycle from concept note to final reporting;
- Carry out other reasonable tasks as required by line managers
- Support in the management of external consultants working on Environmental Peacemaking projects;
- Help fundraise and liaise with external actors in the field of conflict resolution;
- Interact with high-level delegates and diplomats as directed.
Qualifications and requirements
- University degree in political science, conflict resolution, international relations preferably with a focus on environmental issues or related field;
- At least 3 years of experience working on climate related policymaking. Experience from mediation and dialogue, peacemaking, peace building, conflict resolution, international politics, or a related field is a significant asset.
- Experience working with recovering or fragile states;
- Knowledge of EU institutions;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills;
- Excellent command of English (verbal and written); any other EU language is a plus,
- Ability to work well under deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- Ability to work in Belgium (Belgian or EU citizen or currently in possession of a Belgian work permit.)
- Belgian employment contract;
- Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, Hospitalia insurance, pension plan, and contribution to public transportation;
- 40h/week which qualifies for 12 RTT days per year;
- Dynamic international team with opportunities to learn and develop skills;
- Starting date: February 2020.
Please submit 1- 2 pages CV with a motivation letter (Name_Surname_POEnvironment) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline is Monday 06th of January 2020.
If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries. Kindly be informed that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.