Programme Manager: Horn of Africa P/CVE
The objective of the European Institute of Peace (EIP) is to contribute to and complement the global peace agenda of Europe and the European Union. We do so primarily through mediation and informal dialogue. The EIP pursues multi-track diplomacy and promotes best practice in conflict resolution. These responsibilities are executed through three types of initiatives: (a) mediation and facilitated dialogue, (b) public and preventive diplomacy, and lastly (c) innovation and capacity building in support of effective approaches to conflict prevention and peacemaking.
The EIP’s Horn of Africa (HoA) project is specifically designed to enhance in-country capacity to prevent and mitigate the threat of violent extremism in 3 countries in the Horn of Africa region. This is achieved through a tailored approach that unpacks the root causes and drivers of violent extremism and assesses the efficacy of current response, with the objective of supporting effective and customised methods to prevent and counter violent extremism (P/CVE). In consultation with the governments and others in the region, this will result in the co-design and delivery of tailored advice to each of the interested governments.
The EIP is looking for an experienced full-time Programme Manager to lead our HoA project and related staff and consultants. The Manager will work closely with one consortium partner, as well as high-level political leaders, technical departments at central and decentralized levels involved in P/CVE delivery, and opinion leaders relevant to the same.
Terms of Reference
Reporting to the Programmes Director, the Programme Manager (Horn of Africa Project) will:
- Based in Brussels or Kenya (TBC), manage a regional EIP project on violent extremism in the Horn of Africa;
- Management of relations with political, religious and civic leaders; EU delegations and diplomatic missions of countries supporting P/CVE; national and regional institutions engaged on P/CVE; consortium partner; consultants and researchers;
- Co-design of country approaches, related plans and budgets for bespoke advisory service. Responsible for day-to-day coordination and implementation of work-plans;
- Provide field support and implementation support to the HoA Programme;
- Management of EU-funded grant; and
- Internal and external monitoring and reporting on the HoA project.
Competencies and qualifications needed for this position include:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in political science, conflict resolution, terrorism studies, international relations, or a related field;
- 5-8 years of relevant experience in P/CVE or diplomacy and mediation;
- A minimum of 5 of experience in project management, including of EU grants ;
- Experience interacting with high-level delegates and diplomats is essential. Previous collaboration with governments, international organisations, regional organisations and other relevant actors preferred;
- Experience in participatory approaches and constructive feedback loops highly desired;
- Field experience in the Horn of Africa region is an added value;
- Prior experience working in consortia preferred; and
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Sound political judgement, good inter-personal skills and networking ability;
- Perfect command of English (written and spoken) required. Command of one or more languages of the Horn of Africa an added value;
- Sound organisational skills and strong attention to detail;
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, and able to work well under deadlines; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- 18 months’ contract, with possibility of extension; and
- Remuneration package, which includes lunch vouchers, Hospitalia insurance, pension plan and contribution to public transportation for commute to work if based in Brussels.
- your CV (Name_Surname_CV_PM HoA)
- a one-page statement of motivation (Name_Surname_statement_PM HoA) demonstrating your qualification according to the profile
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline is 27 March 2017 12:00 noon. If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Please understand that due to a high volume of responses, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.