Programme Assistant – Conflict Justice and Reconciliation
The European Institute of Peace (EIP) pursues mediation, multi-track diplomacy and conflict resolution and focuses on issues affecting peace, security and reconciliation in Europe. We work from the heart of Europe with a global scope and are an independent organisation whose board members are European states that share a common commitment to a European and EU global peace agenda. To this end, the Institute carries out operations inside and outside Europe and offers practitioner-driven advice on conflict resolution techniques.
Conflict Justice and Reconciliation Programme
Established in late 2017, the Programme works to promote a rights-based focus in conflict resolution efforts. It embraces a broad concept of justice and looks to marry approaches that vindicate rights with securing short to medium term peace dividends. Given the contexts of massive dislocation and loss in the conflicts we deal with, a natural focus is on returns, restitution, the right to security and related reforms. We are committed to avoiding assumptions about the applicability of toolkits and templates and insist on genuinely context specific approaches. We work directly with affected communities to ensure that their voices are heard in the representation of their interests and concerns in conflict resolution contexts. We offer technical assistance and capacity building to partners in a variety of contexts, including parties or potential parties to conflict resolution efforts, and we offer analysis and advice to policy makers at the national and international level.
We are looking for an experienced full-time Programme Assistant to be an integral part of our Conflict Justice and Reconciliation Programme and who will report to our Director of Conflict Justice and Reconciliation.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Conducting in-depth research on geographical areas of concern to EIP;
- Interacting with high-level delegates, diplomats, officials and consultants. Assisting in compiling briefing materials and preparing speeches for team and senior leadership;
- Writing project and funding proposals;
- Assisting with event and travel logistics;
- Assisting with the development and monitoring of individual projects and the CJR programme as a whole.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of in-house projects;
- Assisting with organising in-house events;
- Assisting the Director in administrative matters related to the programme; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- University degree in political science, conflict resolutions, international relations, international law or related field;
- At least 2 years of experience with international efforts on conflict resolution, mediation-support, international human rights and dialogue facilitation;
· Experience working with recovering or fragile states;
· Experience working with EU institutions;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills;
· Perfect command of English. Arabic highly desirable. French desirable
· Ability to work well under deadlines;
· Ability to communicate well and respond promptly and efficiently
· Meticulous attention to detail;
· Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
· Ability to work in Belgium (Belgian or EU citizen) or in currently in possession of a Belgian work permit.
· Permanent Belgian employment contract;
· Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, Hospitalia insurance, pension plan, and contribution to public transportation;
· 40h/week which qualifies for 12 RTT days per year;
· An exciting, international environment working on fascinating, complex issues with a chance to make a difference.
Please submit 1-2 page CV with a motivation letter, both in PDF-form, to email@example.com
The deadline is Friday 23 March 2018, COB. If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen to participate in an interview process will be contacted.