The European Institute of Peace is looking for exceptional individuals who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We provide practical experience, technical expertise and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design of peace processes and agreements, facilitating policy discussions, and proposing practical engagement, for example through inclusive dialogue and mediation support.
Based in Brussels and active in 15 countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organisation working collaboratively with European decision makers, the parties to conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our innovative approach to peace enables us to be agile, creative and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members. See www.eip.org for more information.
We are looking for an Accountant to be an integral part of the Office of the Chief Operation Officer Unit, which ensures the optimal functioning of EIP’s operations by designing and implementing procedures, systems and practices which apply to administration, finance and HR.
Terms of References
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Accountant works in support of all EIP teams to ensure accurate accounts and bookkeeping. In this context, the Accountant will:
- Ensures the smooth running of all accounting-related matters;
- A to Z accounting;
- Assist in the production of financial statements, reports and correspondence as required
- Reconcile finance accounts;
- Maintain spreadsheets;
- Receive and process all invoices, expense forms and requests for payment;
- Assistance in the resolution of finance-related queries;
- Report on and submit VAT declarations; and
- Year-end account closure and working with external Auditors, and
- Other finance-related duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master in Accounting or Fiscality or Bachelor in Accountancy
- At least 2 years of previous Belgian accounting experience;
- Detail-oriented, organised, rigorous, insistent on accuracy, proactive and flexible;
- Team player in an international environment;
- IT literate (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Experience in working with accounting software – Winbooks experience is a plus
- Experience with payment software – Isabel and Fcstone experience is a plus
- Experience with mid- and year-end closure is a plus
- Proficient in English and French is absolutely essential. Dutch or any other EU language is a plus.
- Belgian employment contract;
- Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, Hospitalia insurance, pension plan, and contribution to public transportation;
- 40h/week which qualifies for 12 RTT days per year;
- Dynamic international team with opportunities to learn and develop skills.
- Starting date: February 2020.
Please submit 1- 2 pages CV with a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline is 31 December 2019 COB.
If selected for the first round, we will contact you for an interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Kindly note that we unfortunately cannot accept telephone inquiries.